Kings Cross chambers is on the existing site of the Grand Midland Hotel, which was built in 1873 by George Gilbert Scott. The gothic masterpiece was listed in 1967, and had not been used as a hotel since 1935. It had closed because it required an army of servants to carry all the chamber pots, and other items; at a time when indoor plumbing was too costly to install.
Knightbuild Ltd were contracted to carry out the re-development of Kings Cross chambers; which included façade retention, basement construction, internal paving and external hard landscaping.
Kings Cross chambers formed part of the regeneration of Kings Cross Train station, which was mainly attributable to the relocation of Eurostar services from Waterloo train station to Kings Cross.
LJH were asked to price for works on the reinstatement of the existing yorkstone to the basement. And we were also asked to price for the external hard landscaping, which included the installation of granite setts, to the pavilion, and yorkstone steps that form the famous entrance.
LJH were proud to have been involved in this project. The historic façade, of this listed building, is famous and has been seen by a multitude of people for generations. LJH have now added their part, to the history of this famous building.
Knight Build Ltd